Take a walk on Leslieville’s wild side, The Duke Live
The Duke gets a bit of a bum rap. It’s had it’s moments and it’s nothing like the neighboring haunts but it’s a fun, entertaining “dive” that adds color and history to the Leslieville hood. Come as you are, be real, and enjoy the philosophy of “it is what it is”.
Ten reasons to go to the Duke
1. It’s been around since 1870 longer than any of us, and has been declared a historic building so it’ll probably be here long after we’re gone. It might have a condo built on top but it’ll be here none the less.
2. No line ups for brunch and I’m pretty sure there’s no kale on the menu.
3. It has some of the best live entertainment in the east end, some of it goes beyond the patrons.
(also see #10)
4. The kitchen produces honest, appropriately priced food.
5. The staff is awesome, albeit a bit cantankerous at times.
6. They support charities. The Duke graciously donated their space for the 2014 Ditch the Dust Greenwood Dog Park fund raiser.
(also see # 10)
7. The patio rocks and is not so tightly crammed you need to be a size zero to move around.
8. The beer is cheap and cold.
9. There’s parking in the back, TTC at the door, and most Leslieville homes are a short stumble away.
10.The East End Comedy Revue is Sunday, January 31 with partial proceeds in support of the Leslieville Syrian Family Support Fund