What? What’s going on?
In 2012 after losing over 20 dogs between them to cancer, two east end Toronto dog walkers decided to do something. They got together, found the Smiling Blue Skies Cancer Fund and the Toronto Walk to End Canine Cancer was born.
One in three dogs will be diagnosed with cancer, it is not specific to any one breed. These are they same odds we humans face.
Where does the money go?
100% of all money raised goes to the Smiling Blue Skies Cancer Fund, Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) for treatment and research for companion animals. All production costs are out of pocket so every penny you donate finds it’s way to OVC. “This is our way of giving back” explains Co-Producer Lorrie Holmes, “We don’t have any corporate sponsorship, all contributions come from individuals and local businesses. The Walk is driven by volunteers and social media, it’s very grassroots.”
How can I help?
- Join the Facebook page, share it, and get updates and details.
- Take part in the Walk.
- Can’t attend the Walk? You can sponsor a walker or make a donation on the OVC site. Donations of $20 or more receive a tax receipt via email.
- Share this piece with anyone you think would be interested.
What are the Walk details?
- Saturday, September 24. Registration is at 11:00 am Walk starts at noon.
- Kew Gardens , bottom of Lee Ave. in the Beach.
- This is an on leash walk from Kew Gardens along the boardwalk to Ashbridges and back, approx. 4 k .
- There is a silent auction on site after the Walk. Visit the Facebook 2016 Contributor Album for all the great offerings.
- There is no minimum donation, you can donate and register on line or at the Walk the day of.
Did I hear something about a comedy show?
Yes! The East End Comedy Revue will be donating partial proceeds from the Sunday, September 25th show.
So, walk the Walk on Saturday then laugh it up on Sunday.
Walk to End Canine Cancer Facebook page
Walk to End Canine Cancer event page
Register and donate here